Want to use your work as a force for good?
Looking to further your web development career and empower users of all identities and abilities?
Unity Web Agency is looking for its next WordPress developer to help us continue our mission of creating great websites with greater impact. This team member must be able to work during business hours in the Eastern Time Zone.
This WordPress developer will work side-by-side with our lead developer and project team as we aim to create websites that bring the mission, vision, and values of our clients to life. Additionally, this person will ensure our clients are well cared for after launch, assisting them with support tickets as needed.
From writing clean source code comments to handling functionality fixes, this person will have the opportunity to do it all.
This WordPress developer is invited to get involved at the creative level, bringing ideas to the table that can help improve the experience of our clients and the quality of our work.
Founded by Alisa Herr in 2016, Unity was built on the idea that you should love what you do and the people you work with.
Being a small team, the entire staff works in tandem to not only empower our clients and further the business, but also champion each other. Along with providing professional growth opportunities (and/or funding for those opportunities), we also believe work should be a part of your life, not your entire life.
We offer a flexible working schedule that allows you to choose when you want to work, allowing your work to complement your life, instead of taking over it.
Additionally, Unity aims to address the pay inequities in the tech industry, and we’ve adopted an “equal pay model” to help eliminate these historical inequities due to role, gender, race, ethnicity, age, and sexual orientation.
All permanent team members are paid the same salary of $60,000 per year or the hourly equivalent of $29.02, and it is the policy of Unity Web Agency to pay team members and raise wages based on the cost of living and company success.
- Build out front-end of WordPress websites using our in-house custom theme and page builder
- Lay out content on websites based on design and best practices
- Test and fix websites for accessibility, functionality, responsiveness, and usability
- Responsible for WordPress maintenance for 40 to 50 websites using our maintenance platform
- Primary developer and point of contact for support tickets.
Skills and Qualifications:
- 2-4 years of experience working as a developer in a professional team environment
- Ability to write clean, organized, and well-documented code
- Passion for web accessibility standards and best practices (WCAG 2.1)
- Experience collaborating with other developers using Git and GitHub
- Experience using command line tools such as npm, composer, SSH, and WP CLI
- Comfort working with and contributing to existing codebases
- Strong ability to learn and implement best practices surrounding emerging web standards (e.g. responsive web design, sustainable web design, page speed and code performance, and web accessibility).
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Professional approach to time, costs, and deadlines
- Detail-oriented with the ability to pick up on clues to develop creative solutions and troubleshoot issues efficiently
Bonus if you have:
- Familiarity with local development environments, LAMP server configurations, and Cloudflare
- Experience deploying code to staging and production environments
- Experience working with and integrating third-party APIs with WordPress
- Experience working with Roots Sage WordPress starter theme
- Experience using the Laravel Blade templating engine
This might be a great fit if:
- You are insatiably curious, enjoy learning, and have fun tackling complex problems.
- You are passionate about creating work that makes a positive difference in the world.
- You are self-motivated, yet open to direction.
This is not the job for you if:
- You don’t like to pay attention to the small details.
- You aren’t able to efficiently switch between tasks throughout the day.
- You prefer to work alone.
- Company will reimburse qualified healthcare expenses (including premiums) up to $5,450 per year for permanent team members
- Full-time team members receive 15 days of paid vacation time and 12 paid holidays per year.
- Family-friendly workplace with flextime policy and lactation room
- Training, certification, and educational opportunities
Unity Web Agency is a Certified B Corporation based in Research Triangle Park, NC.
Our mission is to make the internet radically inclusive by creating accessible and sustainable websites that follow WCAG standards with a minimal environmental impact. That’s what drives us to get out of bed in the morning and show up to work as our best selves.
We intentionally create positive economic, environmental, and social impacts for our community by hiring local talent, volunteering company time for service, and donating at least 5% of yearly profits to one or more North Carolina-based 501(c)3 nonprofits. Our core values are to serve the greater good, create with wonder, lead with joy, embrace differences, and cultivate harmony.
Unity is committed to providing a nurturing work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marriage or familial status, pregnancy, genetics, disability, or veteran status.
Does this sound like you?
Made it to the bottom of this description?
Great, you’re already ahead of others. Here’s how you can apply.
Simply email firstname.lastname@example.org with your:
- Link to code repository (Github, etc)
- Work samples
- A quick blurb of why you’d be a good fit
We WON’T consider anyone that doesn’t follow these steps.
Hope to chat soon!